Sweet 16 Party Ideas
This coming of age party is one of a few special moments in a young girls life, besides getting her drivers licence or getting engaged! She will be celebrating milestones throughout her life, and for this celebration, make sure she is set up to have tons of fun and ensure you involve the birthday girl in the planning as you set the stage with sweet 16 decorations and party supplies.
If the birthday girl wants to spend her special day surrounded by her favorite women, host a high tea in a beautiful garden or tearoom in your city or town. Tips to make this an elegant affair:
- Use an heirloom tea set that the family owns. Alternatively, purchase a new tea set for the birthday girl to keep as a gift.
- Serve fancy finger foods such as vanilla buttermilk scones, open-faced pumpernickel sandwiches with smoked salmon, cream puffs filled with pumpkin and white chocolate mousse, almond tarts with fruits and caramelized sugar, and chocolate-dipped strawberries.
- Use teacups filled with different tea blends and matching saucers as party favors.
A beach party is a great way to say, “Aloha,” to the birthday girl’s coming of age. Luau parties are casual and laid back, and enhanced with the sounds of island music that transition into dance music later on in the evening. Have plenty of leis for the guests and create a splash with some of these ideas:
- Cover buffet tables with burlap cloths and dress them with grass skirts.
- For indoor parties, cover walls with bamboo or use wall decals with beach scenes.
- Decorate dining tables with floating candles inside wide vases, shells, resin sand castles, and sweet 16 tableware.
- Have a snow cone-making station.
- Fill beach pails with party favors, such as copies of CDs with the party music, squirt guns, sunscreen and coconut-shaped cups.
Planning and Invitation Ideas
Start planning a sweet 16 party at least two months in advance, so you have enough time to book a venue, hire caterers and other vendors, rent tables and find the perfect outfit. Then send out invitations three weeks before the big day to give guests plenty of time to arrange their own schedules. As a nice touch, use invitations that have matching thank-you cards. Ideas for invitations that will get noticed include:
- Those that look like event tickets to the party of the year. On the ticket, include an image of the birthday girl or a graphic depicting the party theme.
- An “exploding box” invitation. The invitation looks like a normal box. When you remove the lid, the four side of the box drop down to reveal a small cake in the middle. The inside panels of the box have the celebration’s details.
- Personalized or write-in invitations with matching thank-you cards from an on-line shop and there are tons of different themed ideas you can choose from.